- 8-1 1/2″ thick New York strip steaks
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
BLUE CHEESE COMPOUND BUTTER
- 2/3 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup Roquefort cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp shallots, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- Dash of hot pepper sauce
- Pinch of salt
- Bring steaks close to room temperature by removing them from the refrigerator 1/2 hour before cooking. Preheat barbecue on MEDIUM for 10 minutes and lightly oil the cooking grids.
- Pre-heat grill on HIGH for 10 minutes, spray or brush on vegetable oil to prevent food from sticking, reduce heat to your required temperature and place steaks directly on grid and cook to your preference. Place on heated plates and top with a disk of Blue Cheese Butter.
- Blue Cheese Compound Butter: In a small bowl mix all ingredients together lightly with a fork until just evenly combined. Over mixing will cause it to become too blue in colour. Spoon the mixture onto a sheet of waxed paper, and shape it into a log about 1 1/2″ in diameter. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Slice into 1/3″ thick rounds and place on hot Grilled New York Strip Steaks to melt. Left over butter can be frozen or refrigerated
Grilled seafood pot with arrabbiata sauce
- 1 lb large shrimp, butterfly and deveined (keep shell on or not)
- 3 small uncooked lobster tails (halved)
- 1 lb mussels, scrubbed & de-bearded
- 1 1/2 pounds cleaned squid (about 3 pounds whole) tentacles separated from the bodies, rinsed and patted dry (you can also add Scallops, Clams and a small filet of grilled Salmon)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 red hot Serrano chili pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 ripe tomatoes, (Roma if possible or can of diced)
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 onion (preferably Vidalia or Spanish)
- 1/4 bunch fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
- To make the Arrabbiata Sauce (on the side burner): Place tomatoes and 1/2 onion on cooking grids to soften and imprint grill marks. Let cool slightly, then dice. Heat some olive oil in a skillet over MEDIUM heat on the side burner. Add grilled diced onions, and 2/3 of garlic. Sauté briefly, then add the mussels. Add white wine and bring to a boil. Keep covered until mussels open. Discard any mussels which failed to open. Add diced tomatoes, salt, pepper, basil and parsley. Add chilies, and 1/2 diced Serrano pepper cover and simmer sauce for 2- 3 minutes, then turn off burner. Add the chopped basil and butter at this time.
- Note: The earlier the spice heat is added, the spicier the sauce becomes.
- Marinade: To prepare marinade, in a bowl , combine 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, lemon juice, remaining garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Rinse lobsters and pat dry. Split lengthwise through back shell and lobster meat – half the tails completely. Run a skewer through the length of the tail if you want to prevent curling (or not). Brush marinade onto the lobster meat with basting brush.
- Cut the squid bodies along the sides to open flat. With a thin sharp knife, lightly score the insides, being careful not to cut through all the way.
- Add the shrimp (shells on) and the squid bodies and tentacles into the marinade, toss to coat, and marinate for 30-45 minutes, refrigerated, turning twice.
- Preheat grill on HIGH, then reduce heat to MEDIUM – HIGH.
1. With the lid open, place lobster tails on grill, meat side down, for 1 minute. Turn tails shell side down for 8-10 minutes or until the shell is red and the meat is white.
2. Grill the shrimp 2-3 minutes per side. Shrimp are done when just pink and opaque. Do not overcook.
3. Grill the squid, turning until opaque, slightly golden, and just cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the squid to a cutting board and slice into strips and slice the tentacles, if desired. You can leave them whole.
- Presentation: Arrange cooked mussels in large serving bowl, then lobster tails and shrimp and calamari. Pour warmed Arrabbiata sauce over seafood and garnish with chopped fresh parsley. Serve with grilled Italian bread or Focaccia, for dipping of course!
Orange ginger baby rack of pork
- 5 lbs baby back ribs
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp grainy mustard
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp asian chili sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger
- Grated zest of an orange
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat barbecue on MEDIUM and turn down to LOW. Prepare ribs for grilling by removing the membrane from the underside of the ribs. Prepare several foil envelopes and place 2 strips of ribs into each envelope, with 1/4 cup of water and seal tightly. Cook for 2–2 1/2 hours on LOW (300°F) with the lid closed. Check the thermometer on the front of the grill lid frequently and adjust the cooking temperature accordingly. This may require turning one or two burners off and cooking indirectly.
- To prepare sauce: Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and set aside until ribs are ready to remove from foil. Gently heat sauce on the sideburner for 10–15 minutes before using.
- Carefully remove ribs from foil and place on grids. Baste generously with sauce, and grill for 10 minutes per side, leaving the lid open, turning several times, and basting with sauce after each turn.
- Remaining sauce should be heated to a boil and then allowed to simmer for 5–10 minutes and served on the side as a dipping sauce.
Baked scallops & mushrooms in garlic sauce
- 3/4 lb scallops
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, stems removed and minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 tbsp fine bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp minced onion
- 1 tbsp minced parsley
- 2 clove minced or pressed garlic
- Pinch of red pepper flakes & salt
- Preheat barbecue on HIGH
- Reduce heat to MEDIUM. Brush a foil pan with 1 tbs of the oil. Place pan on grill and bake the mushroom caps for approximately 10 minutes.
- Combine stems, crumbs, onion, parsley, red pepper, garlic and salt mix together well. Add scallops and wine to the foil pan. Sprinkle the minced mixture over all.
- Drizzle the remaining oil over. Bake for 20 more minutes, or until done.